Ascending Chaos

Monday, February 07, 2005

Drama at the Death

Southampton 2 - Everton 2
Chelsea 0 - Manchester City 0

You know you are invested in a soccer match when you fall off your chair when the team you are rooting for misses a gilt-edged chance.

I tumbled from my sofa to the floor when Fowler's diving header went wide. And my heart nearly stopped when James (who I use to malign quite a bit in his Calamity James days at Liverpool) pulled off that miraculous save in injury time. What an exciting match; I really don't know how true supporters can bear the tension. I was siding with Man City only on the basis of my "Anyone But Chelsea" philosophy and I already found the dying minutes almost too much to bear.

And no matter what Mourinho says, two points dropped is more significant at this stage than the one point gained. I still think Chelsea will win the Premiership title, but perhaps it won't be all smooth sailing and managerial boasting rights may be a little more evenly distributed.

For the longest time during the Everton-Southampton match, I entertained the thought of Liverpool possibly having a sniff at that last Champions League spot. But all along, there was a sneaking suspicion that a one goal margin was not enough. And so it came to past. The Everton equaliser at the death was a shock in its suddeness, and yet partially expected. It was also a rather brilliant finish by Bent but Southampton did deserve to take all 3 points, so they will see that as 2 precious points dropped. Poor Harry Redknapp was so flabbergasted; I mean, the man has a hang-dog face even in the best of times and still managed to look even sadder last night (on a completely shallow and unrelated note, I often wonder how he produced such a good-looking son in Jamie Redknapp). It must be so frustrating to play well and not get the full points, especially when engaged in an almighty struggle for Premiership survival.

A good soccer night yesterday, entertaining matches and lots of last minute drama. A short break for international friendlies and the FA Cup, then it's on to the business end of the season. I am hanging on for the ride.

Labels: