Ascending Chaos

Friday, February 04, 2005

Reformed or Re-formed?

I am supposed to be a reformed shoe-whore. Sigh ... so much for that. Less than 24 hours after arriving in Saigon, I was marching out of a shoe shop, 3 pairs of shoes richer. I think it was not so much a case of reformation as temporary remission from my shoe-whoredom. The remission quickly became a thing of the past in the low-labour-cost environs of Vietnam. The habit is well and truly re-formed.

I rather shame-facedly confess: My name is gentleice and I am a re-formed shoe-whore. I was "on the wagon" for all of 12 months before falling prey again to the temptation of multiple-shoes-buying.

Another rather embarassing confession: My total haul from Vietnam was 8 pairs!!

Here they are, in their sequined, beaded, embroidered and lacquered glory. You have to admit, I have impeccable taste!



I am particularly fond of the lacquered pine clogs (2nd from left, top row) and the gold beaded pumps (3rd from left, top row). The three silk embroidered pairs (black, green and purple) are also really beautifully done, with very fine needlework.

Total cost for all 8 pairs of shoes - under S$70.00 !! In Singapore, I could hardly get 2 and a half pairs with that amount. I consider this a significant mitigating factor for my spectacularly extreme puchasing behaviour.

Errmmmm .... now, can I use the same reason to explain all the new clothes I bought in Saigon? All 11 items??

Labels: