Ascending Chaos

Monday, January 24, 2005

A Truly LONG Weekend

It was a long weekend for most people here, with Hari Raya Haji falling on Friday. For me, it was a LONG weekend, alright, but not quite in the same way. Had to work all three days, which was a serious bummer and did nothing for chronic sleep deprivation. Not to mention the things I missed over the three days because of work. Here's a partial list because list-making is oddly cathartic.

Things I missed out on this LONG weekend (mostly stuff on TV)

  • watching ANY of the Australian Open. I will be out of Singapore from mid-week and will likely miss everything from the quarter-finals onwards. So far, I haven't seen more than 2 matches strung together and that would probably be the score at the end of the tournament.
  • the Global Edition episode of The Daily Show which normally airs on Saturday and Sunday nights.
  • following the final Test in the England v South Africa series. It's been more or less a wash-out with rain leaving little time for actual play. Unless both captains agree to make bold declarations and effectively turn this into a one-day match, and assuming the weather gets better on Day 5, this is heading for a draw. England then wins the Test Series, as they are 2-1 up after 4 matches. It would be a great result for them, ahead of the Australians touring in the summer. But poor South Africa; I hope there are no recriminations for them because of this home series loss..
  • the repeat episode of Charmed on Sunday (well, here's another embarassing guilty pleasure revealed!). It's not really a big deal. I missed most of the first half of last season anyway. I just thought perhaps I could try to be more consistent in catching the episodes this year, but given the uneven quality of the show, missing a couple here and there may not be so bad.
  • last night's episode of The Apprentice on Channel 5. I did not expect to get home so late (it was 3 am by the time I did get back) and did not set my video to record it. This was supposed to be the episode where Trump shows that he basically just does whatever he wants and fires whoever he wants, regardless of how well the task was performed. I suppose we should have known that all along, but I really did want to see it.
  • the Converse Warehouse Sale, although I bought a couple of bags from elsewhere, so that wasn't an earth-shattering miss.
  • last days of the Robinsons Warehouse Sale. Not that I was sure I wanted to go, what with all the people that turn up on weekends.
  • testing out my newly acquired digital camera ahead of my overseas trip later this week. Will have to find time to figure it out over these next two days.
It seems that things seem to conspire to all happen at the same time, both the good and the not-so-good. If Lady Luck is fickle, how would we describe Countess Karma?

Labels: