Ascending Chaos

Tuesday, January 18, 2005

First Post!

Well, this is momentous. My first post in my first ever blog. For such an Internet junky, I have taken quite a while to acquire a blog; I think it must be my aversion to revealing my thoughts in a public sphere. Just as well I don't actually expect anyone to read this, except those to whom I choose to tell the URL.

Random musings over the weekend (a sport related motif):

Michelle Kwan won her 9th US Nationals title. Whew! That was a relief. Everytime I have followed her competition progress closely, she has let the title slip; Olympics 98, 02 and Worlds last year. I was tempted by silly superstition (hehe, 'when you believe in things that you don't understand') to keep off the skating boards. My resolve did not last long, and I was refreshing MKF like mad. It's a good thing MK won, or I would be berating myself for jinxing her.

Glad to see Singapore's football fever returning with a vengeance. I was on the train and saw many people in red getting off at Kallang station. I was actually in a red top myself, but (a) did not get off at Kallang station; and (b) do not actually support the Lions because of that small matter of actually being a Malaysian citizen. I was glad the Lions won though, because (a) they played well enough to deserve it; and (b) those darned Indonesians denied me a Malaysia vs Singapore final!! Honestly, though, I was rooting for the Lions to win just on the strength of wanting to see Singaporeans cheer for their local boys. There is something irreplaceable about nationalistic fervour. I was pretty delirious when Villa won the FA Cup back in the 90's and when Liverpool did the 5-trophy season, but that was nothing compared to the delirium of Malaysia's rare Thomas Cup victory so many years back.

Talking about Liverpool, they managed to lose again. And to Man Utd, to rub salt into the wound. Morientes seems promising, so there may be hope for better things next season. This season? I am about ready to call the title for Chelsea and read a few books on Saturday nights. Sigh, if only it was still Ranieri managing Chelsea, I would actually be rather pleased. Mourinho, though, just needs to really shut the hell up. I can see that the man is really good at what he does, and that much of what he has accomplished is most admirable, but could he be any more smug and cocky and just down right full of himself??

South Africa just lost the 4th Test to England. Seems like it was a disappointing batting performance, after England had a rather good go at it in the morning session. My newest favourite cricket player, Jacques Kallis, had one of his off-days. He's had so many really good ones this year, I suppose he's allowed to have a few off ones now and then. Well, that at least sets up the 5th Test nicely.

And for the record, my former favourite cricket player? Stephen R Waugh. What a career! For years, I followed his career, which began its ascendance just as I started to love cricket. With his retirement, I could stop caring about whether Australia won or lost; and just hope for good cricket whoever plays.

On some things non-sport related:

Things I have discovered that work stress will cause you to have:
a) IBS
b) hunger pangs
c) trouble sleeping
d) very odd dreams
e) perpetual muscle aches in the thighs

Plans I have for this blog:
a) upload my photos from my travels last year
b) to actually finish my travel journal and post it online (wishfulness quotient is high on this one!)
c) rant and rave about random issues
d) attempt not to be so long winded (*cough, cough, choke)

Labels: