Ascending Chaos

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Rugby World Cup Dilemma

Should I support England in this weekend's Rugby World Cup finals?

I usually root for the English football (soccer variant) team in internationals. Then again, they have not won major honours in so many years that I have never supported England in a major final.

A little while ago, I fell into the habit of cheering on the English cricket team. It was back when they used to under-perform so magnificently that I could not help but throw my support behind them. Whenever they won against major opposition (read Australia), it was occasion for much joy and overflowing jubilation, the more so for being unexpected.

Besides, the English media and public are always so entertaining when they engage in self-flagellation after bad results in any sport. They are also shockingly gracious losers - far less inclined to blame refereeing than many other nations. It's half the reason why I nurse a soft spot England's cricket team and certainly one of the best side benefits from supporting the football team.

There is something comforting about supporting a sporting team that gives no cause for inflated expectations. I just enjoy the victories when they come and rue the losses with stoic resignation.

But now, suddenly and completely out of nowhere, England has a team in a World Cup final! I hardly know how to process this most unlikely of situations. Supporting England actually means supporting a team that has a chance at a very major trophy. I am almost afraid of jinxing them if I root for them openly. Sure, they are underdogs going into this final, but there is a palpable expectation that they can beat South Africa and most improbably, retain the World Cup won four years ago.

It's deliciously set up. England was thrashed by South Africa in their opening group match. One month later, they meet again in the finals. England had pulled off superhuman efforts to beat Australia and hosts France to reach the finals. The tide is with them, as is the hope of a nation. It's almost too ideal; a set up for the most glorious of culminations or for the most sobering bubble-bursting.

I don't know. It's always more fun to watch rugby when I have a side to support. I just don't know if I can, or should, throw my lot with the England camp.

Labels: