Ascending Chaos

Thursday, August 25, 2005

Why does David Moyes have to be such a nice guy?

Liverpool is one of two Premiership teams I support. I am supposed to hate Everton on principle. Hating Everton is probably one of the top rules of being a Liverpool supporter (other rules include knowing the tune to "You'll never walk alone" and acknowledging Ian Rush as Wales' greatest son). Okay, maybe hate is taking is a bit too far. Still, even a non-die-hard Liverpool support should be a little pleased when Everton loses a match.

I remember fervently wishing for Everton to trip up last season, as the two Merseyside teams raced for the last Champions League spot. At first, it seemed that even if Everton claimed fourth place, Liverpool could deny them the CL spot if they won the CL title. Talk about fanning the flames of team rivalries. Then there was the kerfuffle with UEFA pushing the buck to the English FA and the English FA saying that top 4 qualify and nobody else. Even defending CL champions were not guaranteed a place in next season's competition. It was a frustrating time for Liverpool supporters. Liverpool had a chance at European glory but had lost almost all ground in the battle for fourth place. It seemed that all hope for Champions League action in 2005/06 was lost, thanks to the old nemesis down the road. I came close to strongly disliking Everton just for the sake of it.

I had spent the end of last season indulging my mean streak and scoffing at Everton's chances of getting through the CL qualifiers. After all the fuss over "denying" Liverpool a place in CL, I confidently predicted that Everton would not make it to the group stages. The English FA would then find themselves with only 3 of their top 4 finishers in the CL proper, which would serve them right for their obstinacy over the Liverpool issue. After UEFA found a way for Liverpool to have a stab at a title defense, I could afford to be more gracious towards Everton, but still fully expected them to be playing UEFA Cup football come September.

So why is it that I find myself sympathetic towards Everton after their departure from the Champions League this morning? I have been proven right and am nowhere as pleased as I thought I might be. And what the heck, I can even be a little objective about this. Everton might have been extremely lucky to finish fourth in the EPL, but they have been equally unlucky to draw Villareal in the CL qualifiers.

Why the lack of glee? It is simply that David Moyes is such a confoundedly nice guy. It is difficult to not admire his overachievements and even more difficult to dislike him. His grace in defeat is also a nice change from the other top EPL managers.

And I will always have a soft spot for the man that beat Jose Mourinho to the EPL Manager of the Year award!! Mourinho with his charismatic swagger, media-fodder personality and record-breaking Chelsea side, must have seemed the runaway favourite. And yet it went to soft-spoken, unassuming David Moyes with his limited resources and unremarkable team. It could not have happened to a nicer guy, nor a more deserving one.

While I expect Everton to struggle this season, I actually hope they will manage to do reasonably well (but not as well as the teams I do support). All because David Moyes is a nice guy.

Labels: ,