Ascending Chaos

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Memorable Moments from the WC Finals 2006: France vs Italy

Again, these are not necessarily about the football being played on the field. I did watch the match and I thought it was smashing, but somehow seemed to remember things that were not entirely about the football.

a) Pre-match singing of national anthems. The expression on each player's face was a miniature tale of emotions, hopes and resolve.

b) PLACIDO DOMINGO singing during half time!! PLACIDO DOMINGO, I tell you! That was just such a great, wonderful, completely unexpected treat.

c) Repeated close-ups of the special golden balls made in Germany just for the finals. Kudos to the camera-persons.

d) Thierry Henry's karate-slice action when ruing a missed chance in the second-half. I don't know why, but it made me laugh.

e) The Italian teams' 'family portrait pose' when watching the penalty kicks. Emotions were starkly on display, compared to the comparatively cooler countenance of the French (although I am sure both sets of players were equally on edge).

f) The on-field hair-cut given to Argentina-born Azzuri, Camoneresi (sp??). It was actually not a bad cut for something done with what looked like kitchen scissors.

g) Yeah, yeah, I guess I have to mention the Zidane head butt incident. It was actually quite comical, if you ask me. He squared up to Materazzi like he was about to execute the world's most obvious feel-up, then boink! Sorry, that was high comedy for a few seconds.

h) The slow-mo replay of the other players' reactions when Grosso slotted in the last penalty. The slumped shoulders of the French, the screaming relief and joy of the Italians. It just demanded operatic music in the background.

i) Italy winning the World Cup! I cannot be unbiased - I have supported Italy in World Cups since 1994, when Roberto Baggio came so close to winning it but failed from the penalty spot. 12 years later, they win it on penalties. Not quite poetic justice, but it's something anyway, and immensely satisfying.

Labels: ,